Moving is exciting. But it can also be stressful! One of the biggest stressors during every move is packing your possessions. Packing can be one of the most tedious—and expensive—parts of any relocation. You have to get boxes, packing paper, and other materials. Then you have to wrap up all of your items and safely put them into boxes. Your time and costs can add up quickly.
Fortunately, there are ways to save money when you pack for your move. One of the biggest cost savings is to rent plastic moving bins so that you aren’t wasting time and money on cardboard boxes that have to be constructed, taped together, and then broken down after the move.
Why is packing important for your move?
Careful packing is an extremely important step in making your move quick, safe, and cost-effective. If you don’t pack up your loose items inside boxes, you increase the chance of your materials being lost or damaged. Every plate and coffee mug needs to be wrapped carefully to avoid breakage. And every piece of clothing and bedding must be folded and packed.
The better the pack, the better the odds of your materials arriving at your new home without damage. Whether you’re handling the pack yourself or hiring a professional team, be sure to budget some time and money to this aspect of your move.
How do plastic moving boxes save you money?
There are many benefits to using plastic moving bins instead of cardboard boxes for your move. One of the biggest benefits is the cost. They’re often cheaper than cardboard! For example: you can rent reusable plastic moving boxes for about $150-$200 for a 3 bedroom home. This price includes wheeled dollies to transport the boxes as well as some standard packing supplies such as newsprint to protect your breakables.
But cardboard boxes and packing tape to seal them will cost closer to $350-$400 for the same size home. And that doesn’t include your time to drive to and from the store to pick up the materials! When you rent reusable plastic bins for your move, your rental company will deliver the bins to your old home and pick them up from your new home.
Here are a few additional benefits to renting reusable plastic moving boxes:
- They’re sturdier than cardboard, which means that you can pack more inside and can safely stack them on top of each other.
- They’re much easier to carry, which cuts down the time your move will take. This will save you money if you hire professional movers, and it’ll save you time if you handle the move yourself.
- They’re weather resistant. This works out well in places like Chicago, where you never know whether it’s going to rain, snow, or be bright and sunny!
- They’re eco-friendly. The bins are designed for many uses over a lot of years, so there is no waste.
What packing materials will you need in addition to plastic moving boxes?
So, you’ve decided to rent plastic moving boxes instead of buying cardboard boxes. Now, what other materials will you need to ensure a successful pack and a smooth move? Here are a few suggestions:
- Packing paper to wrap your glassware, stoneware, and other delicate items
- Bubble wrap to pad your breakables
- Wardrobe boxes to pack your hanging clothing
Most companies that offer plastic rental moving boxes will also be able to provide these packing materials, so don’t be afraid to ask!
Let Box Beaters help you save money on your pack and move!
Box Beaters is here to help with all of your packing supply needs. Contact us today to find out why reusable plastic moving boxes are cooler—and cheaper!—than cardboard.