The holidays are a fun and exciting time of year. You look forward to spending time with family, eating lots of good food, and decorating your home! If you’re short on storage space, it can be a struggle to figure out where to stash your festive décor between the holidays. So here are some helpful tips on how to store your holiday decorations!
How to store your holiday decorations at home
For many people, holiday decorations come with happy memories. You might’ve inherited some knickknacks from a favorite relative or bought your favorite ornament on a fun vacation. However you came upon your favorite decorations, it’s important to store them safely so that you can use them for years to come. Here are a few ideas on keeping them safe when you’re not using them:
- Wrap all delicate or breakable items in newspaper, towels, or plastic bags to avoid damage when you carry the bins to and from their storage space.
- Label, label, label! With everything wrapped inside the bins, you won’t know exactly what’s inside unless you label the sides of each bin. Write the holiday and a brief description of what’s inside so you know where to look the following year.
- Pack the decorations inside sturdy, stackable, waterproof bins. This is especially important if you store them in a basement or attic where they could be affected by moisture.
- If you have any electronic or particularly sentimental decorations that could be damaged by temperature changes, consider keeping them in a closet or another area of your home instead of your basement or attic. This will help keep them functioning and in good condition!
Advantages of storing your holiday decorations with a professional micro-storage company
Not everyone has access to ancillary storage space like a basement, an attic, or an extra closet. In that case, you can consider storing your holiday decorations with a professional micro-storage company.
Why should you store your holiday decorations with a micro-storage company?
Storing your holiday decorations with a micro-storage company gives you the flexibility to only pay for the storage that you need. Maybe your apartment doesn’t include much storage space. Or maybe you just want to get the decorations out of your way so you don’t have to keep moving them from place to place inside your home when they’re boxed up. When you partner with a professional storage team, you can rest assured that your decorations will be kept in a secure, temperature-controlled warehouse. And they’ll be waiting for you when you’re ready to decorate your home!
Additionally, storing your holiday decorations with a micro-storage facility gives you the flexibility to only pay for the storage space that you need. Whether you’re storing just one bin or several bins and a few oversized items, you’ll only need to rent the area that your belongings occupy.
In other words, you can save time and money when you store your holiday decorations with a micro-storage facility.
What are the disadvantages of storing your holiday decorations in a self-storage facility?
Self-storage facilities require that their clients rent at least one unit. And although some self-storage companies offer a variety of storage unit sizes, the smallest average unit size available is 5’ x 10’. Your holiday decorations likely won’t fill the entire space. That means that you’ll pay rent for space that you don’t need—and that’s a waste of money!
Keep in mind that some self-storage facilities increase their rates when they’re close to their capacity. So if you’re hoping to store your holiday decorations on a budget, you could be at the mercy of how many other customers have already signed a rental lease with the self-storage company.
What can you store at a micro-storage company besides holiday decorations?
Micro-storage isn’t just for holiday decorations. Here are a few ideas of other items that you can store if you need to clear some space in your home:
- Wardrobe boxes for hanging clothes
- Golf clubs
- Grills – no propane tanks, though!
- Patio sets
- Skis, snowboards, and other winter sport stuff
Let the professionals store your holiday decorations
We exist to make our clients’ lives easier. And sometimes that includes storing our customers’ holiday decorations in the offseason.
Contact us today for more information on our secure, temperature-controlled storage facility!